If you’re into baking, then you might have come across a Phyllo dough pack. Derived from puff pastry, Phyllo comprises layers of dough. Health-conscious bakers prefer to use Phyllo dough since they are fat-free. On the other hand, puff pastry is dough combined with butter. If this your first time coming across this dough, then this article is for you. Read on to understand what a Phyllo dough is and how many sheets of Phyllo dough are in a package.
Phyllo dough is paper-thin and crisps when baked. It does not puff, unlike regular dough. So it’s perfect for small bite delicacies like baklava. A sheet of Phyllo is made using flour, oil, or white vinegar and water. If you plan on making a home-made one, prepare to do a ton of work. You need to continually roll and stretch the dough until it becomes tine and extensive. The process requires a huge countertop and roller.
Traditional Greek and Mediterranean dishes usually utilize Phyllo dough. The most common are spanakopita, baklava, and strudel. But you can definitely use it in any other dish you like. As long as you like a certain crunch and crisp in your dish, go ahead and try one.
Forms of Phyllo Dough
To know how many sheets of Phyllo dough are in a package, we have to learn first the two forms of Phyllo dough, which are the sheets and shell. The sheet is usually in roll form, and you get 2 rolls per box. So, how many sheets of Phyllo dough are in a package? The answer is about 20-24 sheets per 8 oz. roll. So a pack has 40-48 sheets all in all. To use, thaw the sheets overnight to prevent tearing.
On the other hand, Phyllo shells are pre-baked. Toss them in the fridge until you’re ready to use them. You can crisp them up in an oven for about 5 minutes. Unbaked fillings require crisping the shells first, while baked filling does not. These shells are perfect for mini pies.
Benefits of Using Phyllo Dough
- Healthier option
A Phyllo pastry dough is much healthier compared to regular dough. As mentioned, it does not contain butter, so no trans and saturated fats. Therefore, no cholesterol. It’s the perfect option for those you want to enjoy pastry without the added fats.
- Quick and easy to make
Using a Phyllo dough is super quick and easy. These sheets are already pre-cut so you can personalize it when exploring other dishes. It’s easy to use every day, most especially for special occasions.
How to Use Phyllo Dough
Phyllo dough is more convenient to use than a traditional puff pastry. After learning how many sheets of Phyllo dough are in a package, it’s time to learn how to use them.
- The first step is to unroll the dough from the pack.
- Then separate the sheets. If you do not want to consume the entire pack, just cover the remaining sheets with a cling film before putting them back in the box.
- You can brush the sheets with melted butter and layer them following your recipe. Doing so will make your pastry more solid.
How to Buy Phyllo Dough
Since Phyllo dough makes baking and cooking more convenient, more and more people opt to use it. If you are also planning to transition, here are some things to consider when purchasing a Phyllo dough:
- Phyllo sheets are sold in one-pound packages.
- They are available in various thickness and shapes.
- Phyllo used in pastries is generally thin and delicate. Layering is the key.
- Each box contains 20-24 sheets per roll.
- Perfect for small baked treats like pies
- The sheets usually measure 18”x14”. However, cutting it to any shape you like is quite easy.
- Phyllo can be bought fresh or frozen. If you prefer the frozen one, thaw the sheets overnight before use. Know more about phyllo doughs.
Phyllo dough is such a versatile dough used for many decadent recipes. You can use it to replace puff pastry for a healthier alternative. Not only that, but Phyllo can also be used for appetizers. The crusting and crispiness make it a popular option for various dishes.
If you’re planning to try it, then we hope we’ve answered your curiosities on what a Phyllo dough is and how many sheets of Phyllo dough are in a package. Try it and experience the convenience of making your favorite pastries and food.