Pizza is the most convenient choice when you throw parties with very little preparation. You have yet to hear of somebody saying he doesn’t care for pizza, so a big plate is always such a treat. As a meal planner, asking how many slices in a large pizza are actually a wise question since you don’t want anything to go to waste. The charm of pizza is also in how casual it is, compared to a sit-down meal that needs a lot of implements and cutlery. It also comes out cheaper when you’re hosting a big group, but it doesn’t mean you are scrimping on taste, satisfaction, and experience.
Pizza Size Variations
The standard pizza size has eight slices that are usually good for a group of four people. Typically, this is a twelve-inch pie, that assumes each person eats two slices.
A smaller pie at eight to ten inches will give you six slices and maybe a good option for kids. To manage their intake and avoid wastage, you can cut a standard slice in half for your child. If he finishes it off, that’s when you can give the other half. This way, you won’t have to end up discarding half-eaten pizza slices that others could have enjoyed.
Another popular pizza size is the fourteen-inch pie that is the preferred choice for game nights or laidback nights at home. This serves ten slices. The size after this is the extra-large pizza at sixteen to eighteen inches, yielding twelve slices. This sounds perfect for a small office celebrating a little victory at the end of a workweek.
What’s a Good Size for a Pizza?
Now, it gets quite mathematical when you plan to feed a big group that an extra-large pizza just won’t suffice. Buying two of the same size pizzas might end up more expensive, so it may not be a wise choice. For example, if you are preparing for twenty, what’s the right pizza size for this crowd? You need to consider many other factors and always think about how many slices in a large pizza. Here are what you need to consider:
- Number of adults you will feed. Remember that typically, one slice of pizza would not be enough for one adult to enjoy. He will most likely come back for another, helping to savor the pizza better, so you should allocate two slices per adult.
- Number of kids at the party. Given the standard number of pizza slices measured for adults, how many can a little but active kid munch on and finish entirely?
- Other food items you will serve. If your guests have other food options on the menu, then the estimation of two pizza slices per adult would be very safe. But if pizza is the only food you will offer, it would be best to increase the number of slices you will allocate for each adult.
- How hungry your guests are. This would depend on the time of day you will serve pizza, or what activities precede the pizza party. If your guests are coming from a ball game or any physically-draining and stressful activity, then it would be charitable to serve more and appease your starving friend.
Other Pizza Pointers
As you can see, knowing your guests well, their preferences, appetites, ages are keys to finding out the perfect pizza size to order. When you finally decided what size of pizza to order, it’s safe to know how many slices in a large pizza to ensure that everyone can get enough. To ensure your pizza experience’s fullest satisfaction, you might want to check out these other helpful pointers:
- Stay on the safe side when ordering pizza flavors. Unless you can vouch for your guests’ flavor preference since you know them by heart, stick to basics rather than the adventurous flavor options.
- Cheese pizza is always a comforting and safe option, so it is good to order half of your pizza in this flavor.
- Consider ordering extra cheese to top your pizza with. Cheese helps keep your pizza warm and, thus, more enjoyable for a longer time. Then you won’t have to reheat frequently when the pizza is left to sit cold as the party ensues.
- When your pizza is filling in itself because of a thicker, fuller crust and is generously packed with meat and toppings, you may need to order just a few plates or pizza.
- Ask your pizza place to give you an estimate of how many slices in a large pizza or their typical pizza sizes would yield. They should have a better grasp of that.
The great thing about our world today is that there are tools available online, even for the seemingly trivial stuff. As there are scientific and investment calculators, there are pizza calculators, too. A pizza calculator can help you find out how many slices in a large pizza would be sufficient for you, so that tool should keep you covered. You don’t have to do the math yourself. Or, you can always go for the unapologetic Neapolitan pizza that doesn’t bother itself with slices. Enjoy! Know more about large pizzas.