How To Wash A Pizza Stone
A pizza stone is one reason behind those crispy pizza crusts. In the middle of indulging those crispy pizza slices, you look at your pizza stone that’s used and dirty. This makes you wonder how to wash a pizza stone? But before you grab your brush and pizza stone, let us first identify the steps and restrictions you must follow.
Ways on How to Clean Pizza Stone
A pizza stone can help you have the same result of using a brick oven, but it requires special attention and care. Nevertheless, you can follow these steps on how to wash a pizza stone without ruining it.
How to Wash Pizza Stone By Hand
- The first thing you need to do is to let your stone completely cool off in your oven for an hour. This is to prevent your pizza stone from cracking.
- Next, using a stone brush or a plastic spatula, gently remove the excess pieces of burnt food stuck on your pizza stone.
- If you’re planning to grab a soap in cleaning your pizza stone, you must drop that idea. This is because the pores on the stone will absorb the soap, leaving an after taste on your next pizza.
- Using a damp cloth, wipe off any pieces of food that weren’t detached during your scraping process.
How to Wash A Pizza Stone With Baking Soda
- Get a bowl, then mix equal parts of baking soda and water on it. Mix it thoroughly until a paste-like consistency is formed.
- Using a stone brush or a plastic spatula again, remove the bigger chunks of food that are stuck on your pizza stone.
- Scrub the baking soda and water solution on your pizza stone using a brush. Do this through small circular motions, starting with the dirtiest area.
- Once you’re done with the scrubbing process, wipe down your stone using a damp cloth.
- Since you applied some solution, make sure to let it dry for at least a day before using it again.
How to Wash a Pizza Stone Using the Self-Cleaning Function
You might just want to disregard the following steps above and choose to use the self-cleaning function in your oven. Yes, this will surely do, but you must also follow the following steps and take note of the restrictions to avoid your pizza stone from being distorted.
- You must limit using this method. Your pizza stone might get cracked if you constantly do this method.
- To start, you need to make sure that there’s no grease or dried food left in your oven. Make sure it is cleaned thoroughly and dried before you use the self-cleaning function.
- Initially clean your pizza stone by wiping it off with a dishrag. Make sure that you remove all the large chunks of food to prevent any smoke.
- Place the stone in the oven and gradually increase the temperature to avoid your stone from cracking. Once you have reached 500 degrees, you can leave it for at least an hour.
- Then turn on the self-cleaning function.
- Keep an eye on your pizza stone.
- Lastly, allow your pizza to fully cool down, ideally overnight.
There could be more than one process on how to wash a pizza stone, but make sure that you don’t overdo it to avoid causing any damage to your stone. Know more about pizza stones.
January 6, 2021
By: Lisa Lore
When making pizza at home without the right tools and equipment, you may not be getting the taste and texture that you enjoy in restaurants.